With busy fall schedules we all need a few terrific one-dish dinners on hand. Chicken with Orzo & Feta is a hearty meal that the whole family will love at the end of a busy day.
It is easy enough to be made right before dinner or, as is my preferred method, during afternoon naptime and reheated at dinner. Make it your own by playing with the flavors. Sometimes I garnish it with goat cheese and add fresh sprigs of rosemary or torn basil leaves. Serve it with a green salad and crusty bread for mopping up the yummy sauce and enjoy!
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into narrow strips
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Cook orzo according to package directions and set aside.
2. Warm the olive oil in a large, deep skillet and cook the onion and garlic until soft and translucent. Pour in the white wine and allow to simmer for one minute. Then, add the tomatoes with juices, salt, pepper and the spices.
3. Add chicken strips and allow mixture to simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce starts to thicken.
4. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with freshly crumbled feta cheese.