prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
cook time: 1 ½ hours
- 2 veal shanks, patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 portobello mushrooms, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 1/3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 baby new potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Step 1: Pat veal shanks dry with a paper towel and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add veal shanks to the pan and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove shanks and put them on a plate.
Step 3: Add vegetables and bay leaves to the same dutch oven and cook until they begin to soften (about 6 minutes).
Step 4: Add the tomato paste and red wine and stir. Add the veal shanks back into the pot. Cook until half of the wine has evaporated. Pour in chicken stock. Reduce the heat to low and cover pot with a tight fitting lid. Cook for about 1 and 15 minutes.
Step 5: Add in potatoes and cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until potatoes are just tender and meat is falling off of the bone. Enjoy!