In my family, we each have our favorite comfort foods for winter. My 11 year old’s favorite is a cozy bowl of chili, while my nine year old warms up with a burrito. My husband goes for nachos, and me, well, I’ll take a grilled cheese sandwich on the sofa with a blanket and a roaring fire next to me, please.
It’s right about this time of year when this pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich makes its appearance. It’s unbelievably delicious—and makes great use of leftover pulled pork if you have it around. I’ll make a batch of this Perfect Pulled Pork and we’ll do chili or tacos one night, and these sandwiches the next. The pork is so tender and full of warming spices. Add to that fresh tomatoes, greens, and melting cheese, and you’ve got a sandwich that will probably be one of your weeknight go-tos all through the season.
Perfect Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Snag the recipe for my family's favorite comfort sandwich.
- your favorite sandwich bread: 4 slices
- unsalted butter: 3 tablespoons
- whole grain mustard: 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon
- white cheddar cheese or pepper jack (if you like spice), thinly sliced: approximately 6 ounces
- red onion: a few thin slices
- perfect pulled pork: ½ cup (recipe linked below)
- vine-ripened tomato: approximately 4 slices
- your favorite mixed greens: 2 small handfuls
Please note that this prep time does not include making the pork, which is a long but very easy process. Get the recipe for perfect pulled pork here.
Step 2: Place all 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, in the preheated skillet, and then distribute ¼ of the cheese to each slice of bread, over the mustard. Reduce the heat to medium-low.