At some point or another, everyone feels like they don’t fit in—especially moms. We think we’re not wearing the right thing, eating the right thing, doing the right thing, or being the kind of parent that meets the perfect standards set in our communities. This is why moms everywhere absolutely are so excited about the return of Katie Otto in season two of American Housewife (September 27, at 9:30|8:30c on ABC): She is exactly who we wish we were in the same situations we go through every day. Awesomely imperfect, always honest.
Here are ten reasons why we want to be just like Katie.
1. No matter how little sleep she gets, or how much running around she does as the mom of three kids, she always finds the energy to be her family’s biggest cheerleader.
2. She moved to a town she didn’t want to live in because it was the best place for one of her kids to flourish — and she tries to mingle with people she has absolutely nothing in common with (even though they irritate her to no end).
3. When it comes to breaking the rules to help out her kid, she’s willing to take the leap (and rock a bathing suit, regardless of what anyone else thinks).
4. She wears her big, beautiful heart on her overly-expressive sleeve.
5. She’s well aware that she married someone who is (hilariously) her polar opposite, and she chooses to celebrate that instead of hold it against him.
6. When Mama wants a treat SHE HAS A TREAT.
7. She is not afraid to speak up when it really matters — whether it’s defending her right to eat an entire muffin, or simply wanting to be left alone.
8. She is supportive of her kids, even when they do things she doesn’t totally agree with or think are really, really strange. Like, REALLY strange.
9. Like most moms, she’s almost always right. (RIGHT???) But when she’s wrong, she’s willing to admit it. Sometimes even in writing.
10. She won’t apologize for how her beloved family isn’t the cookie cutter picture of perfection, nor will they ever be — because that is 100 percent okay with her.